Tuesday, July 25

Two of My Main Sources

I highly recommend A Basic History of the United States, by Clarence B. Carson. It is a good sum-up of United States history from the early 1600s till the beginning of 2001. Comprising six volumes, it would be useful for those of you who want to brush up on American history. He has written other books as well that go into economics, government, communism, etc.

Carson goes through all of American history and examines the development of political theory, capitalism, and American culture. The books contain some very intriguing ideas about what could have happened. I draw on many of those ideas for posts. For example, he had a short paragraph that postulated what could have happened if government hadn’t funded the development of railroads so much. I extrapolated on that point in my post, “Railroads and the Civil War.”

Rousas J. Rushdoony is also very insightful on a number of subjects. I drew on his knowledge for a number of posts, for example “Voting in the early 1800s.”

If you’re looking for some good reading, I highly recommend their writings.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will have to read this, but I have so many things to read so little time!

Althusius said...

Me too.